My Thoughts On Chapter One of Turtles All The Way Down

15837671

If you haven't been keeping up with social media lately, you probably missed John Green reading the first chapter of his newest book, Turtles All The Way Down, which is coming out in October. (If you haven't seen the video yet, you can click here to see it!) So today on the blog, having just watched the video myself, I'm here to share my thoughts on the first chapter and what I think the rest of the book will be like.

So, John Green had mentioned in several previous Vlogbrothers videos that the book was going to be dealing with thought spirals, which are something that he has mentioned he has experienced multiple times before. So in addition to this book being a gripping mystery full of wit and charm (as all his books are), it also heads over into the direction of mental health, which is an area not usually written about by him, so that was a change I was immediately eager to see. And just from listening to the first chapter, it's pretty evident -- the main character explains her history with thought spirals and how her best friend understands it, and then you're actually taken through one. 

As a matter of fact, I was sort of surprised with how intense the book is when it first begins -- you're pretty much launched right into one of the main character's thought spirals. She gives a little bit about her history too, so although the reader gets right into the thick of things, they aren't left totally in the dark. 

There were also a few parts about the opening chapter that made me laugh, especially after it made me think back on my high school years. And in typical John Green fashion, he takes something that we tend to view as totally mundane and habitual -- such as the bells in between classes in high school -- and turns them into something that makes you pause and contemplate. (For real. I never realized how mindlessly we all followed the big beep in the sky until he pointed it out. He tends to do stuff like that.) It was both really captivating and really, really awesome. 

Overall, I'm just really freaking excited for this book. It already seems super interesting, and like I said (and like you probably already know, if you've been a fan of this blog for awhile!), I'm a huge John Green fan. So you already know I'll be lined up to get this book as soon as I can -- and hopefully you all will be, too! 

So, those are my thoughts after hearing the first chapter of Turtles All The Way Down. I'm really excited for this book to come out next month, and to finally hold it in my hands! I've been a fan of John Green for as long as I can remember, with Looking For Alaska being one of my favorite books of all time. I even had a quote from the book inspire my graduation cap a few years ago!


Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, sky and outdoor

What're your thoughts on the first chapter of Turtles All The Way Down? Comment down below and share your thoughts -- I'd love to hear them!



1 comment

  1. That quote is one of my favorites! Now on the Turtles -- I was excited when the book was first announced, but having JG read me the first chapter made me even more excited. Soon. It will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️