Guest Review by Ana Loves: Ninety Degrees by Megan Duke (SBPT Stop, #3)


Welcome to The Summer Blogger Promo Tour, an event created by us ladies at The Book Bratz, whose blog you're on right now! This is a weekly tour stop where we'll be highlighting different bloggers and their fantastic book blogs all summer long. You can read more about the tour by clicking here!

ninrty degrees
Welcome to the third week of the Summer Blogger Promo Tour! It's coming along nicely, and everyone's blogs are getting a ton of hype, which we're so excited about. Last week, we talked about one of the coolest guy book bloggers we know, Andrew and his blog, Endlesslyreading. This week, we're bring to you a guest review from Ana over at Ana Loves...! Without further ado, here is Ana's review of Ninety Degrees by Megan Duke!

Title: Ninety Degrees
Author: Megan Duke
Ana's Rating: ★★ (5/5 Stars)
Paperback, 206 Pages
Published May 2014

Summary: Ninety Degrees is the story behind Silas McFuller's senior year at Chattanooga Prep. He and his best friend, Charleigh McAfee, have never cared about grades or ACT scores. Their drive stems from creativity and pushing the boundaries when it comes to the arts and the world around them. They've got one year left of high school, and they want to make it count. For Charleigh, that means crossing into dangerous territory alongside a rebel with a southern drawl. For Silas, it means letting go of reasoning and finally letting his true self shine. Readers of the Small Circles books know better than any that life is short, and within that small spanse of time, it's okay to be happy.

As you all should know by now, I am completely and utterly obsessed with anything Megan Duke has written. I had the absolute honor of receiving a copy a week in advance (THANKS MEGAN!), which is why I am able to post my review the same day it’s being released. You do not need to read Small Circles before reading this book (but I suggest you do) so go and pick up a copy now!


This is another five star read for me! I swear, everything Megan touches turns to perfection. It touches on some similar issues as Small Circles, but I felt that it focused more on the treatment and struggle that gay people go through than Small Circles did.
I loved the characters in this book! Charleigh and Logan were new characters, but Silas was also in Three Sixty. It was nice seeing more of Silas, it gave me a better understanding of his character and made me more compassionate towards him. When I first met him in Three Sixty, I wasn't sure how to feel about him. Don’t get me wrong, he was a great character, but I wanted to know more about him so, naturally, I was thrilled to find out that this book was all about his senior year of high school. In this book, Silas has to learn to accept his sexuality. He’s afraid to come out and he has a crush on one of the most popular boys in the school. Throughout the book, he tries to accept himself for who he really is and be happy with that.
Charleigh was another interesting character. First of all I LOVED the fact that she wasn't as skinny as a stick. Get this..she had…CURVES! I know that’s an odd thing to be excited about, but you have no idea how much it irks me that the majority of YA main female characters have "the perfect body" (what does that even mean?), complete with a flat stomach and blablabla. So yes, I’m happy that she has curves and her stomach isn’t perfectly flat. She also dyes her hair a lot--I think she dyed her hair blue at one point, which I did once too! Charleigh is artistic and has been looking forward to the senior art project ever since her first day of freshman year. Then she meets Tucker, a new student, and they are paired together to work on the art project. She also has to accept herself for who she is and be happy with that.
Logan and Tucker don’t have their own POV’s in this book, but they both played critical roles. Logan is Silas’s best friend and a special friend to Charleigh. He is also going through problems as well. I wish that we had more insight on Logan’s life, because I often wondered what was going through his mind at certain moments. It’s the same story with Tucker. He becomes friends with Charleigh and has a sick brother. Tucker has a mysterious air around him, I was never sure what his real intentions are…in fact, I’m still kind of confused about what happened in the end. I would LOVE a book with their perspectives, I think it would be very interesting to read about. *hint hint*
All in all I really loved this book. The story line was great, the characters underwent a lot of growth, and it was a really fast read! I especially loved the significance of the title. I recommend this book and Small Circles to everyone, so go buy your copy now!!!
Favorite quote from this book:
“We all follow different paths,” she enlightened him. “Sometimes they cross, and those points of intersection create moments. Each moment is part of a bigger picture.”
“What’s the picture?” he asked.
“That’s the thing I’m struggling with."
We also talked with Ana and asked her a few blog and book related questions!
The Book Bratz: What is your favorite part about being a book blogger?                       
Ana: I love how I can express my love for books. None of my friends at school read that much, they haven't even read Harry Potter (Shocking, right?), so my blog is the only place I can vent all my feels without getting weird looks.
The Book Bratz: Who's one blogger that you'd love to interview on your blog?               
Ana: My all time favorite book blogger that I would LOVE to interview would be Amber from Grown Up Fangirl. Although we have a slightly different tastes in books (she reads a lot of NA), I admire her so much! She has a successful blog, she works with authors, and she's enjoying her life. She's super sweet and talks to her followers all the time. I would probably freak out if I ever met her.
The Book Bratz: Who's your book boyfriend?                                                               
Ana: Daemon Black will forever and always be my book boyfriend. He's from the Lux series by Jennifer L Armentrout. Daemon is hot, funny, hot, caring, hot, protective but not overprotective, and did I mention HOT? Oh and he's not from this world.....yep, I'm in love.
The Book Bratz: In your opinion, what character (from any book) do you wish you could meet in person?                                                                                                 
Ana: I'm going to be super cliche and say Harry Potter. It would be so cool to meet him, imagine all the exciting stories he'll tell! Plus, he can do magic.
Thank you again to Ana for the awesome guest review and for answering our interview questions! You can read the review of Ninety Degrees on HER blog by clicking here, and you can also check out her blog and her Twitter!
See you all back here next Sunday when The YA Club does a guest post about why they blog!
Also, click here to see our full Summer Blogger Promo Tour schedule!
Previous Tour Stop Posts:                                                                                         
*Sunday, July 6th (Stop #1): Talking BookCon with Dana Square                                    
*Sunday, July 13th (Stop #2): Introducing Andrew From Endlesslyreading




3 comments

  1. I haven't read the Lux series, but I've seen that character used as an answer to the book boyfriend question A LOT. I think I need to check him out.
    I agree: it'd be super awesome to meet Harry Potter! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber is in LOVE with Daemon from the Lux series--so I think I'm going to have to start it, too! -Jessica

      Delete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️