The Great Gatsby: Book vs. Movie

So, I had the pleasure of seeing The Great Gatsby last night, and I'm here to dish on exactly what you're all wondering: Which was better? The book or the movie?




If I had to give this movie a rating, I'd give it 4 1/2 stars. (★★★★). (There is no half-star on this blog, but pretend that it's there, anyway!) I believe that the movie followed the book very well. DiCaprio captured the essence of Jay Gatsby and made him come alive. (To be completely honest, I kind of always pictured DiCaprio as Gatsby when I read the book, which was before they announced the movie.) Toby Maguire also played his part well--he adapted the life of Nick Carraway and made it believable.

There are only two things that I weren't exactly keen on...

1) The music! Oh my gosh...this was the 1920's, right? 1922, to be exact. So why oh why was the first song in the entire movie by Jay-Z? They danced to Lana Del Rey, Jay-Z, and a bunch of super-modern songs. It just made no sense. It just didn't fit!

2) The way Daisy cops out in the end. This detail isn't an attack on the movie itself, because it's also in the book. But arrgh, it just frustrates me so much! Tom was no good to her. Jay loved her so much and would do anything for her. Why couldn't she go with him?! I know that a lot of people can argue that there were some bad qualities of Gatsby, but he loved her so much more than Tom ever did. It's obvious. No matter what anyone says. *SPOILER ALERT* Not going to Gatsby's funeral was just plain disgusting of her.

So, all in all, I think I liked the movie a teensy bit more than the book, only because I felt that the movie really brought the book to live and gave it the vibe it needed.
"He threw all those parties, hoping she'd wander in one night."

Okay.

Tears. 

Here come the tears.

I can't do this.

I'll talk to you guys later.













No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️